Sunday, July 10, 2011

Instructor Focus: Gina Hendry



Before OBC I viewed exercise as punishment.   Remember having to run laps for mistakes made while participating in team sports?  Or as an adult  killing yourself on the treadmill for eating too much during the holidays or vacation?  I think often we view exercise as a negative consequence for making bad choices.

So when I made the decision two years ago to lose weight, I focused primarily on my diet.  I registered for a popular weight loss program and was very successful -dropping a whopping seventy pounds!  I felt great about the way I was looking, but in the back of my mind I had two concerns:  1) I was going to have to transition to “real food” eventually -especially because that program was way expensive and 2)  I still was not physically fit or strong, and would often feel fatigued and unmotivated...not sexy.
 
I saw an ad for OBC, and even though I was scared to death of jumping into a program as intense as a boot camp, I signed up for it quickly before I had time to over think it and chicken out.
           
The first day of any program is difficult.  We ran a mile that day, and I was definitely not the first to cross the finish line -it took nearly 14 minutes for me to finish.  Our instructor Scott was so positive and supportive during the sessions, it motivated me to push myself as hard as I could, and I really felt good about my accomplishments.  By the end of the first session, I ran an 11 minute mile.  By the end of my fourth session, I was down to an 8:50 mile.  That's right, I kept going!

I love OBC.  I love working out in a group with a team, outside -no boring treadmills or elliptical machines.  I love exercise.  I don't think of it as a punishment anymore than I think of brushing my teeth or taking a shower as punishment.  And I thank OBC for helping me develop this attitude, and for helping me become a strong and confident woman.  I am still a work in progress, but I know that this program is the best way for me to reach my goal of being healthy and fit.  I encourage anyone who enjoys a challenge to sign up.  It's not as scary as you might think, and if I can do it -so can you!  See you at the park!  

Favorite Exercise:  Anything abs

Favorite Boot Camp Workout:  House of Pain

Favorite Food:  Chocolate

Most Memorable Boot Camp Memory:  I have two of them: 
                             1) Nearly swallowing a beetle during the PT Test
                             2) Completing the Long Run without stopping

Biggest Accomplishment:  I have two of them: 
                             1) Becoming an instructor
                             2)  Running a mile in under 9 minutes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment